potato leek soup

1:41 PM

Hi guys! Long time no talk! Seriously. :( I have no excuses for my long absense (except for the fact that i'm in school or doing school stuff 24/7!) Anywho, I'm finally on winter break so I'll be able to give this sad blog some attention :)

I have a few recipes coming (so stay tuned). But the first one is Potato Leek Soup. I've been making this soup for a year now, and it's one of my favorites! It's very easy to make, requires only a few ingredients, is very quick and best of all, it's HEALTHY! Oh and it's pretty good too. I found the recipe here. Make sure to click that link and see the picture they have (which is chunky, i'll explain this if you keep reading). 


Click below to see the recipe and more pictures.

First of all, I'd like to apologize for these awful pictures. I haven't taken pictures of food since summer, so I guess I've lost all my talent (not that I had any talent before..). But yeah. The pictures are pretty awful and don't give this soup any justice! Please don't judge my awful food picture taking skills! D:

I guess I've lost my touch for writing as well. Because I don't know what else to say. And plus, I'd like to keep my recipe posts short and sweet. Because lets be honest, who actually reads the ramblings on recipe blogs anyway? I just look at the pictures and skip to the recipe.

Anywho, I guess I'll say a few things about the soup (just in case you are still reading). This soup is "healthy" because it has no bad ingredients. I mean it has 2 tablespoons of butter, but you could just substitute that with some olive oil. It's made entirely of leeks and potatoes. I do like to add some garlic as well. The recipe also calls for some chicken broth, but I usually just substitute that with water and it still tastes delicious. So this recipe can easily be made vegan :) Usually when I make this soup, I only blend half of the soup, so it's creamy and chunky. But this time I decided to blend the entire pot (still tastes good, but I prefer the half-chunky half-creamy method). I blend the soup in a blender. I've tried it in a food processor before and it didn't work out very well... If you have an immersion blender (lucky!) that will probably be the easiest method. But any way works :) The sriracha in this recipe gives the soup a nice kick! It's a little different than what you'd expect but I really think it works well here. You're welcome to add cream or milk to the soup, but I don't think it needs it. I do eat my soup with a spoonful of sour cream or greek yogurt tho :)

Enjoy! :)





Potato Leek Soup
Ingredients
  • 3 large leeks, cut lengthwise, separate and clean (only white parts), chopped
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups chicken broth (or water)
  • 2 lbs potatoes, peeled, diced into ½ inch pieces
  •  ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme, or ½ tsp dried thyme
  • Sriracha (or other red chili sauce)
  • Salt and pepper

Directions
  • Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper in medium sized sauce pan
  • Cover pan, cook on low heat for 10 min, checking often (do not brown)
  • Add water, broth and potatoes and bring to a low simmer and cook for 20 min
  • Scoop about half of the soup mixture into a blender, puree and return to pan
  • Add parsley and thyme and a few dashes of chili sauce to taste
  • Add salt and pepper to taste 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images