tzatziki sauce

12:38 AM

Hi guys! So a couple weeks ago, I made homemade whole wheat pita bread and tzatziki sauce, both which were incredibly yummy. I took pictures of the pita bread but decided against blogging it, since I wanted to practice a little more and get the recipe perfect. I mean they were good and all, but I really want to perfect the recipes I share with you :) 

The tzatziki sauce on the other hand was perfect. I've made it a few times before and each time it amazes me how delicious it is! And it is soooo easy. It really is just mixing a few ingredients. The only tricky part is squeezing the moisture out of the cucumbers. But that's not that difficult. This sauce is so delicious with so many things--warm pita bread, gyros, grilled meats, with veggies. You name it. It's the perfect dipping sauce (sorry for saying "perfect" a million times, I'm just liking that word at the moment). 

The sauce is also pretty healthy. Greek yogurt is high in protein, probiotics and vitamins and minerals. Because of its richness, I prefer to use low fat or 2%, to reduce total fat and calories. You won't even taste the difference because of all the different flavors. So go ahead, don't be scared to use low fat Greek yogurt here! The other ingredients are also high in vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Best of all, there aren't any preservatives or other funky ingredients. Everything is fresh, natural and whole. 

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I found the recipe. I tried looking for the original recipe, but it's been a couple years. So if you're the writer of the recipe, please don't sue me. Just let me know and I'll give you credit :) Anywho, I will now let you go. I think I've said everything I've wanted to. I hope you give this recipe a try! It's really tasty and really easy. Enjoy!

Tzatziki Sauce
 Ingredients:
  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 regular cucumber, peeled and seeded
  • 2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp white wine vinegar
  • Salt and pepper
  • Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
  • Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
 Directions:
  • Shred the cucumber or chop in a food processor. Using a cheesecloth or paper towels, squeeze the shredded cucumber to remove as much water as possible
  • In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients
  • Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images