soft pretzels

2:08 PM

Hi guys! A couple days ago Vitali and I decided to make pretzels, and I'm so happy we did because they were so fun to make and sooooooo yummy to eat! I have been making these particular pretzels for over a year now and I'm very satisfied with them. I found them here, (and only changed one thing: the amount of flour used.) I haven't even wanted to try a different recipe out. These pretzels are soft and chewy and wonderful with cheese dip! 

I usually sprinkle salt on them, but I have tried cinnamon and sugar and those were really good too. Careful to not over salt them. Kosher salt is really the best, and just a little pinch. Last time I made these I made the mistake in using sea salt, which is more salty than kosher, so they were very salty. Having them plain is very good too! 


These don't really taste like the Auntie Annie's pretzels at the mall. They are a bit sweeter and much less greasy, lol. If you want them to be more like the mall pretzels, you can brush melted butter on them when you take them out of the oven. But I honestly think they are perfect as is :)

When I roll these out, I usually get medium sized pretzels. I don't have enough patience to roll them out very long and thin, like the ones at Auntie Annie's. You can also roll them out short and they'll be little and fat. They all still taste the same, no matter how thin or how fat you make em. 


Click below to see more mouth-drooling pictures and the recipe


These pretzels are also really fun to make with friends. One time my friends and I had a pretzel making party. Jealous? I bet. Rolling out the dough and then shaping them is pretty fun. And after wards, you get to eat them and watch movies. It's the best. I think everyone should have a pretzel-making party at least once in their life.

Anyway, I hope you guys try this recipe out! Let me know if you do :) Also, I am not posting a cheese dip recipe because, quite frankly, I haven't found one that I enjoy and that I'd be comfortable sharing. Remember, I only share things I absolutely love.

Enjoy!




Isn't he so cute? ;)


Buttery Soft Pretzels
Ingredients
  • 4 tsp active dry yeast
  • 1 tsp white sugar
  • ¼ cup warm water (110 degrees F)
  • 4-5 cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 1 ½ tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • ½ cup baking soda
  • 4 cups hot water
  • ¼ cup kosher salt, for topping 
Directions
  • In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tsp sugar in 1 ¼ cup warm water, let stand about 10 minutes, or until bubbly and creamy
  • In a large bowl, mix together 4 cups flour, ½ cup sugar and salt
  • Make a well in the center and add the oil and yeast mixture, mix until everything is combined. If it seems very wet and sticky, add more flour, ¼ cup at a time. If it is too dry, add water, a tablespoon at a time
  • Knead the dough until smooth, about 7-8 minutes
  • Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1-2 hours
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease 2 baking sheets with butter
  • In a large bowl, dissolve baking soda in 4 cups hot water, set aside
  • When the dough is risen, turn it onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal parts
  • Roll each piece into a rope—the thinner and longer the piece, the thinner and bigger the pretzel will be—twist into a pretzel shape
  • Once all of the dough is shaped, dip each pretzel into the soda-hot water solution and place pretzels on baking sheets. Sprinkle with kosher salt
  • Bake in preheated oven until browned, about 8 minutes

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. These are so delicious and soft! Thank you for the recipe ☺️

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images