the best chocolate chip cookies ever!

12:41 AM

It's my birthday today (I know, how lame, I'm sitting here on my blog on my birthday…. whatever….it's only 12am and I'm about to go to bed anyway!) I've been going through photos for the last few hours. I started looking at my old baby pictures, then through my teenage pictures, and now through all the random crap on my computer (yes I know, looking at old photos the day before your birthday…super lame and cliche.. but again, whatever..) And if you're curious, it's my 21st birthday! :) I'm not a drinker so I don't care about that aspect of turning 21, but I am EXCITED about sitting in the adult section of restaurants and skipping all the long wait lines ;) I'm not doing anything super fabulous for my birthday (I never really do). Vitali and I are just going to have a nice date (at the Melting Pot). I actually have to wake up early tomorrow and study for a few tests (yay… but at least it's a day off, which is so awesome!)

Anyway, so as I was looking at all the super cute pics of myself (haha) and my super adorable doggy, I stumbled upon a few pictures I took of these beautiful chocolate chip cookies. I originally took these pictures last year and I was planning to post them on the blog, but for whatever reason, I never got to it. And I started thinking, well why not? They are super awesome cookies. And as you can see, I made them four separate times. THAT's how good they are.

I've been making these cookies for a few years now, getting the recipe from my trusty old Taste of Home cookbook (actually it's not that trusty, since a lot of the recipes are awful… but oh well, there are a few keepers, like these cookies!) These chocolate chip cookies are absolutely perfect. They have the nicest texture (chewy and soft) and an amazing flavor! I've tried many different chocolate chip cookie recipes and these are by far the best. I don't even feel the need to keep searching for a better recipe.

Ok here comes my nutrition advice ;) As you can see from the recipe (below) these contain shortening. After learning about the plethora of harm trans fat causes, I really recommend replacing the shortening with butter. I've done it (and continue to do it, I never use shortening anymore) and it tastes really good. Not as good, but still really good. But if you don't care about your health, go ahead and use shortening ;) 


As you can see, and I apologize in advance, my photos aren't the most aesthetically pleasing. I wasn't really into photography a year ago, so yeah, my angles are off, and everything. But who cares! The greatness of these cookies make up for it!

I've made these cookies with different chocolate chips. They are delicious with a variety of white and milk, only milk, only dark, etc. Do whatever you want (or use whatever you have). These cookies are also really delicious with nuts. I actually prefer them with nuts (walnuts in particular). You could switch these cookies up and make them with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts (delicious!!!) So as you can see, you can really change up this recipe to your liking.


(I made these cookies for Vitali one time when he was feeling under the weather…) 

(I also made this recipe into one giant chocolate chip cookie, which i frosted and sprinkled, for Christmas) 

I hope everyone enjoyed my ramblings and my awful pictures. Hope you give these wonderful cookies a try :)

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup shortening, or butter 
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 cups (12 oz) chocolate chips*
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
*Semi-sweet or milk chocolate

Directions:
  • In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy
  • Add eggs, on at a time, beating well after each addition, add vanilla
  • Combine flour, salt and baking soda, add to creamed mixture gradually
  • Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts
  • Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 until golden brown, remove to wire racks to cool

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images