Broccoli Salad with Cranberries and Sunflower Seeds

4:37 PM

Hello! Today I'm sharing a really yummy broccoli cranberry salad, which i found here. I've had my eye on a similar salad for quite some time now! Since summer, to be exact! I first had a version of it at a party and then again at a baby shower and I thought it was delicious! The two salads I had were, however, made with kale and broccoli, but today, the recipe I'm sharing with you guys is just broccoli, which i think it fabulous. But you're welcome to add fresh chopped kale to it as well, of course.

It's very simple and easy to make, it just requires a few extra minutes to chop all that broccoli. But after that it only takes a minute. The recipe calls for apple cider vinegar but I replaced it with red wine vinegar. I just think it gives the salad a nicer flavor. However, you're welcome to use any vinegar you'd like! The original recipe also calls for bacon, but because I try to eat and serve healthy foods, I decided to omit it. I really don't think bacon is necessary for this salad. 

This beautiful salad is very flavorful. The cranberries add a nice tangy taste and the sunflower seeds are an added bonus. This salad would be a perfect salad for summer picnics and barbecues. You have to make it ahead of time, so that it can soak, which is perfect! It can sit in your fridge for a couple days and still be delicious. 

And the best part is that it's packed with different vitamins and minerals. Broccoli is full of vitamin K, vitamin C and calcium, just to name a few. Personally, I get a little bored eating broccoli, especially if it's served plain. This is a great way to add broccoli to your diet! Yes this salad has some fat, from the mayonnaise, but hey as long as you don't eat it everyday, you'll be fine. You're welcome to use low-fat mayonnaise, just note that it will change the overall flavor. 

Anyway, I hope you guys give this yummy salad a try! It was a hit at my house and I hope it will be at yours as well! Enjoy :) 






Broccoli and Cranberry Salad

Ingredients
  • 2-3 broccoli crowns, just the florets, finely chopped (5-6 cups)
  • ½ small red onion, diced
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, lightly roasted
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • ½ cup- ¾ cup mayonnaise
  • 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • Salt and pepper to taste, optional


Directions
  • In a medium sized bowl, mix together broccoli, onion, sunflower seeds and cranberries
  • In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar together and add it to the salad, tossing to coat
  • Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve (at least 1 hour)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images