garden fresh tomato soup

9:17 PM

I don't know about you, but it seems like tomatoes are the ultimate vegetable (fruit!) of August and September! I eat soooo many tomatoes it's insane! Tomato salads, tomato soups and even tomatoes on their own. Tomatoes just seem to love Washington summers. And i'm glad they do, cause tomatoes are so good and so good for you :) 

During the late summer, I love to take advantage of the plethora of garden tomatoes and make fresh tomato soup. I always make this soup during the summer because there's just something special about tomatoes fresh from the garden. They are totally organic, free of any pesticides or nasty chemicals, and best of all, they are right from the vine. Not from some truck from who knows where. Ultimately, they just taste better than store bought and that's why I usually only make this soup in the summer. 


Tomato soup is usually high in fat and calories, or even worse, from a can. And guess what?! It doesn't have to be! You can have a delicious and creamy soup that's low in fat, calories, sodium and sugar! Say what?! You only need a few ingredients and about 30 minutes and you've got yourself an awesome summer soup!

I found the recipe here but adapted it, adding more garlic and onions, to give it even more flavor. But don't be scared, it's not overpowering at all! It is the perfect amount. If you want to add even more complexity to the soup, try adding fresh basil or other vegetables. Serve the scrumptious soup with yummy grilled cheese sandwiches (or if you're lazy like me, serve with croutons and a drizzle of cream!).


I actually have a quick funny story to share with you guys concerning these pictures. A couple weeks ago, I made the soup and spent quite a while setting it all up for the picture (yes it takes me a while, I wasn't born a perfect food photographer), and I took the pictures and was really happy with them. And then I lost them (or, I thought I lost them...hehe). Anyway, I looked and looked for them through all my SD cards and albums and just couldn't find them. I was seriously really sad. I was so happy to share the soup with everyone but without photos it wouldn't work. But then guess what?! I magically found them! They were hidden quietly in my wedding videos album :P So any who, here are my perfectly imperfect pictures of homemade tomato soup and tomatoes from my mom's garden! (Yes I realize this story wasn't that funny...... sorry if you're mad now. Just kidding ;))


I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I do! It's a quick and healthy soup and a perfect way to use up all those garden tomatoes! :)


Garden FreshTomato Soup
 Ingredients:
  • 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons white sugar, or to taste
  • Pepper to taste

Directions:
  • In a medium pot with a tablespoon of oil, sauté onions and garlic until tender. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Gently boil for about 20 min.
  • Remove from heat and run the mixture through a blender or use an immersion blender. If you want a smooth soup, strain through a fine strainer.
  • In an empty pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is a medium brown.
  • Gradually whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest.
  • Season with sugar, salt and pepper and adjust to taste.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images