pumpkin scones

4:15 PM

Hi world, how's it going? It's been a while, hasn't it! Well I've been doing great, if you're wondering (which you're probably not).  I've been incredibly busy with school. It's my senior year, so lots of advanced classes and all! Oh and I'm also trying to balance my new role as a wife! Hehe:) I haven't been doing too much special cooking in the past few weeks. Just lots of really simple, not blog-worthy recipes. It's really difficult to find the time to cook exquisite or even interesting meals when I get home at 7 or 8 and still have a load of homework to do. But sometimes I do find the time (or just feel like procrastinating). Like this week. I had a ton of homework, but I decided I was in the mood to make some scones. And not just any scones. Pumpkin scones! 

I've been really into pumpkin lately (pretty much like everyone else on the planet). In the last couple weeks, I've gone to the pumpkin patch, carved pumpkins, roasted pumpkin seeds, roasted pumpkin flesh, made pumpkin soup, made pumpkin chili, made pumpkin pie, made pumpkin scones, made pumpkin cupcakes, drank pumpkin spice lattes, bought pumpkin flavored coffee, ate pumpkin biscotti, ate pumpkin greek yogurt, ate pumpkin granola, burnt pumpkin candles and finally, put pumpkin decor allover the apartment. As you can see, I've become pumpkin crazy! I might as well turn into a pumpkin, lol.


In the last couple years, there has been a "Starbucks-copycat" pumpkin scones recipe going around. Pretty much every blogger has made the scones and blogged about the scones (look on Pinterest for proof). And I've decided to join the pumpkin-scones-bandwagon. I know it's not that original, but i don't care, to be honest. I think these scones are delicious and I want to share them with you. I made them a couple year ago and they were a hit then and still a hit now! Even my husband said "mmm, these are really good." It's always great to hear encouraging words from people you love :')

Because pretty much every blogger and all their viewers have made these scones, you can rest assure that they are ah-mazing! They are fluffy and crumbly and just perfect. The scone itself isn't too sweet. The glaze itself really sweetens it up! When I made these 2 years ago, I omitted the first glaze, using only the drizzle. If you're watching sugar or calories, that is a simple thing to do to make them a little more healthy. You can also omit the glaze all together! They would still taste great. But I really like the glaze, so I made them with both glazes. Another thing you can do to "better" your health and still enjoy a yummy treat is to make the scones smaller, such as I did. The original recipe makes 6 very large scones. I don't feel that it is an appropriate portion size, so I cut mine in half, to make 12 scones. You just gotta make sure that you do stick to just 1 scone though. Smaller scones are cuter and more classy anyway ;)


Anyway, I think that is it for now. I always write way more than I plan to, and I hope it's not a bore! Also,  I'll try really really hard to post more recipes on the blog! It's just a little difficult with school. Thanks for reading and let me know if you decide to make these bomb pumpkin scones! :) Click "read more" for the delicious recipe! Enjoy :)



Pumpkin Scones
Ingredients
Scones:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup plus 3 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ground nutmeg
  • ¼ tsp ground cloves
  • ¼ tsp ground ginger
  • 6 tbsp cold butter, cut into cubes
  • ½ cup canned pumpkin
  • 3 tbsp half-and-half
  • 1 large egg
Powdered Sugar Glaze:
  • 1 cup plus 1 tbsp powdered sugar
  • 2 tbsp milk
Spiced Glaze:
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp milk
  • 1/8-1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • Pinch of ground nutmeg
  • Pinch of ground ginger
  • Pinch of ground cloves
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
  • In a large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients (including sugar)
  • Cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin, half-and-half and egg
  • Gradually fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until a ball is formed
  • On a well-floured surface, flatten and form the dough into a 12” x 4” x 1” thick rectangle and cut into triangles
  • Place triangles on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until light brown
  • Let cool before icing
  • Make the powdered sugar glaze by mixing the milk and sugar until smooth, then dip the scones into the glaze, let dry completely
  • While the first glaze is drying, make the spiced glaze by combining all ingredients and mixing until smooth
  • Drizzle onto the scones

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images