turkey chili

6:19 PM


Hello! I have a really delicious recipe for you guys today. Oh and it's healthy! Let me introduce to you.... my favorite chili ! :) I've made this chili a couple times this summer and it's a hit with my family! It's full of all the good flavors, plus a bunch of healthy ingredients! Lots of beans, veggies and lean meat with no saturated or trans fat. (I did add cheese to my bowl, which isn't the healthiest, but it is soooo good). One more thing, I gave a bowl of this to my boyfriend, not telling him the ingredients until after he was finished and he exclaimed "I thought it was beef!" See the turkey doesn't taste bad ;)




This chili is adapted from food network, but I did change up the recipe. I added celery, tomatoes and more garlic. I think those things just give it an extra something. I also cut the recipe in half, because half the recipe makes plenty (feeds my entire family, more than once). But you're welcome to double it ;) I used ground turkey breast, but you can use any kind you want. I usually just get plain ground turkey, since the ground breast can be a bit pricy, but they were out at the grocery store so i went with the breast. It still tasted delicious! I also added a bit less than 1.5lbs, because it was being sold in 1.25lb packages. 

The great thing about making chili is that you can tweak it to your liking and you know it'll turn out good, no matter what you do! Chili is traditionally made with beef and you can definitely substitute the turkey for beef. But turkey is so much leaner and healthier--and honestly, you don't even taste the difference. It's really good! 

Anyway, I'm going to stop my pointless ramblings and let you guys look at the pictures and hopefully the recipe. Let me know if you make it (trust me, it's a really good chili recipe). Thanks for reading:)




Turkey Chili

Ingredients
  • 3-5 dried pasilla chile peppers, optional
  • 2 tbsp oil
  •  ½ red bell pepper, diced
  • ½ green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded, deveined, minced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  •  6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 ½ small onions, diced
  • 1 ½ lbs ground turkey
  • 3 oz tomato paste
  • 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ tbsp granulated onion
  • 1 tsp granulated garlic
  • 1 ½ tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • ½ tbsp ground cumin
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 16 oz can pinto beans with liquid
  • 16 oz can kidney beans with liquid
  • 16 oz can black beans with liquid

Directions

  • Rehydrate the pasilla peppers in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes, or until softened; drain. Remove the stems and seeds; dice the peppers
  • Warm the oil in a large pot over high heat. Add the pasillas, bell peppers, jalapenos, celery, garlic and onions and cook until caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add the turkey and gently stir, trying not to break up the meat too much; cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes
  • Add the tomato paste, sauce and tomatoes, stir for 4 minutes, then add the water
  • Add the granulated onion and garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne, salt and black pepper. Stir in the beans and their liquid, lower the heat and cook, uncovered, for at least 1 hour

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images